Homage to the Great F Sionil Jose

By

Homage to the Great F Sionil Jose
by Rado Gatchalian


I am not sure if it is a coincidence that two Joses have greatly influenced me as a Filipino thinker and patriot: Philippine National Hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal and National Artist for Literature F Sionil Jose. A week after we commemorated the 125th death anniversary of Jose Rizal on 30 Dec 2021, our country has lost another great Filipino and writer, F Sionil Jose, on 06 Jan 2022.

I owe a great deal to F Sionil Jose, who is also my fellow Pangasinense, in the way I feel and think for our country. During my younger days, I used to read and collect his articles at the Philippine Star newspaper; I still have kept some and brought with me here in Australia. 

If I am known now, among my friends, as “The FILOsopher,” it is because of the influence of these two Joses. 

F Sionil Jose’s essays “Why We are Poor” and “Our Place in the Sun” have made a remarkable impact on me. It has influenced me in my lifelong advocacy in promoting unity among Filipinos, finding a deeper meaning as a country, and sincere love for our Motherland. When I read his essays during my younger days, perhaps, it inculcated in my subconsciousness a profound longing for the greatness of our nation.

Those who read my writings, especially if I discuss about Filipino values and culture: would find the same sentiments as “Why Filipinos are Shallow and Why We are Poor.” 

Like F Sionil Jose, my dream is for one day that our country would be a great nation — a  solemn dream of writers and thinkers like me and other Filipinos. I know it is frustrating to dream sometimes. It only gives deeper sadness as we know we cannot achieve it during our lifetime. But both Dr. Jose P. Rizal and F Sionil Jose have nurtured this dream in the way they lived and wrote.

Whenever I go back to Philippines, I always try to find time to visit the monument of Rizal at Luneta and F. Sionil Jose’s Solidaridad bookshop. On 2nd April 2019, I went to his bookshop. I asked the sales clerk if there was any chance I could meet Ka Frankie. I told my story that I always try to visit his bookshop whenever I am here in the Philippines and take a chance if the writer is in the shop. I was unlucky many times. That day I was informed F Sionil Jose was there but it would be impossible for me to meet him. I pleaded again but to no avail.

But a persistent person I was, I stayed for few more hours browsing at the bookshop until another staff came from upstairs. I told the same story. Lo and behold, I was fortunate this time. My only intention was for him to sign some of the books I purchased. But then I was given a chance to talk to him, together with his kind wife, for few minutes, then, eventually, for a short interview with this great iconic Filipino F Sionil Jose. I got a photo with the Great Man as well.

You would probably have noticed that I was trying my best to hide my emotions when I was interviewing him. I was almost teary-eyed. It was a grand feeling of joy meeting this Great Man, this Great Filipino and Writer…

If there was one thing I consider as a fulfillment of my passion as a writer and blogger: that would be my encounter with F. Sionil Jose. From my interview with him, he reminded us Filipinos:

“Huwag kalimutan ang pagka-Pilipino ninyo dahil sa bandang huli iisa ang bayan natin. Kahit nandyan kayo. Its memories and sense of place that will keep you rooted in this country kahit saan kayo mapunta.”

It is this same sentiment that I am so vocal and persistent in my writings and speeches that we shall retain our love for country even though we already live in foreign lands. Our hearts and minds shall remain a Filipino. If we lose this, then we lose our Filipino Soul as a human being. 

Among his thoughts that continue to reverberate in my soul is his conclusion of his essay “Why We are Poor.” He wrote:

“But we have a very real and insidious enemy which must vanquish and this enemy is worse than the intransigence of any foreign power. We are our own enemy. And we must now have the courage, the will to change ourselves.”

With the passing of this great iconic Filipino writer — and thinker — I would like to continue to dream for our country and hope that our new generations will never forget the works and writings of F Sionil Jose. Like the works of Dr. Jose Rizal, may the essays and novels of F Sionil Jose continue to inspire us all as Filipinos.

Paalam F Sionil Jose! Maraming salamat Ka Frankie sa inspirasyong pinagkaloob mo sa aking abang buhay. We have lost a Beautiful Filipino Soul — but such beauty will always remain in our hearts…

(Photo 1: Taken on 02 March 2020 by Tita Sennie Masian. Photo 2: Interview with F Sionil Jose, 02 April 2019, Solidaridad Bookshop, Manila)

Popular posts from this blog

DALAMPASIGAN SA PANUBIGAN

VACCINES OF DEATH

Bakit Nakatungó Ang Uhay Ng Palay