LIFE IS A GIFT

By Melany Amante Mabao Maguindanao

Before my spectacled failing eyesight, I witnessed a freak accident happened in front of us just a few meters away from the windshield of our ride. Things flashed like a lightning thunderbolt that froze us in horror. We were climbing up a steep slope in an area  known as "Heaven," early last night. It was cold and dark, and the rain was pouring hard. Suddenly I saw coming from the highest point of the slope a white fortuner rushing swiftly and going down like a flash towards us on the other side of the road. It's hood bumped into something ahead of it I only came to know as another vehicle after the accident. At that split of a second view, I was not seeing the other vehicle (A Revo) where it bumped because it was actually a black one without a headlight or maybe it had but its light was so weak against the fog and the rain. At the moment of the strong impact, I saw nothing of the second vehicle. I only saw this white moving thing smacked into something invisible at least around 15 meters or less, on the other side of the lane. And then seemingly it broke into half and disintegrate. The thing from the impact came swerving uncontrollably towards us and with  loud shouts instinctively coming from my own mouth "Allah huakbar! Allah huakbar!" my husband was able to zoom past and halt beside our side of the road, while the screeches and rumbling went on until a loud crashing ended at a lamp post on the other side of the road behind us. There was a very brief moment of silence but enough for us to realize what was going on. There were only three vehicles at that part of the world, in that brief moment in time, as far as I am concerned. Ours was one of it. Everyone entered a panic mode and my husband jumped out and sprung into action  to help whatever he can. I gained composure after a couple of minutes and went out to the rain, only to realize there were already more vehicles behind and more people salvaging the wreck of the collision.

There were five of us inside our ride that night, but the experience seems to flood me singly with my elaborate existential disposition.We went home together and immediately asked a relative for a special prayer (duwaa/dua), to thank God for sparing us and to help the victims survive. As we prayed and bowed our heads to the almighty, I thought of life. The experience affirmed to me that indeed, life is a gift. My life is fleeting. If it is time to die, it is time. A single twist and turn, it could have been us. But God has a plan for everyone and so in him, let's put our trust.

Source: FB
"Collision"
August 31, 2021

Popular posts from this blog

DALAMPASIGAN SA PANUBIGAN

VACCINES OF DEATH

Bakit Nakatungó Ang Uhay Ng Palay